11 Simple Ways To Practice Mindfulness Daily
“I don’t have time” and “I’m not sure where to start” are possibly the most common things I hear when talking to people about integrating mindfulness into their daily life.
I understand that change is difficult, uncomfortable even, but these reasons are not enough, in my opinion, to not push through and give it a go.
So below are 11 ways you can begin to integrate mindfulness into your daily life without any extra time.
- Each time you walk up stairs count your in/out breath as you take each step
- While brushing your teeth breathe in and out for each tooth brushed
- Each time you take a sip of a drink take a mindful breath in and out beforehand
- Before answering the phone take a mindful breath in and out
- Before typing each email you send take a mindful breath in and out
- When walking from home to your tube station/bus stop/car, do so with mindful walking, counting each step as you breathe in and each step as you breathe out (for example 4 steps for an in breath and 4 steps for an out breath)
- When you’re eating switch everything else off and focus solely on your meal, chew 40 times per mouthful of food
- Each time you’re about to stand from sitting take a deep, mindful breath in and out
- When on a train journey/bus journey take the time to practice mindful breathing or even do a body scan
- When washing dishes become hyperaware of each dish you wash and take your time to “wash it well”
- When showering become aware of the water droplets hitting your skin and stay with that feeling
Try and pick one of the above and build that into a daily habit and see how you get on.
I’ll be keen to hear, so keep me posted.