How To Do A Body Scan
I mentioned a few weeks ago about the power of doing a body scan and using this as a means to relax, unwind and become more present.
If you missed that post here it is again: https://movementlifestyle.com/11-simple-ways-to-practice-mindfulness-daily/
Body scans are amazingly powerful for relaxing a tense, anxious body-mind.
Here is how I do it:
- Lay down on your back and get comfortable
- Begin to focus on your breath
- Place your focus now down on your feet. As you breathe in, direct your in breath to the soles of your feet and then as you breathe out, feel the muscles of the foot relax. Do this until you are happy the foot feels relaxed.
- Move up to your calf muscle and breathe into the calf and again, as you breathe out let all tension in your calf dissipate. Repeat until your calf feels relaxed (usually two to three breaths).
- Move up to your upper legs using the same process, then your lower back, abdomen, chest, upper back and so on.
- When you get to your shoulders repeat the same process, however it might take a few more breaths before you are happy that the shoulders feel they are more relaxed than when you started.
- Finally move up to the face and scalp.
- Once you have scanned the whole body hold the awareness of this relaxed state of the body for a minute or so.
- Slowly begin to bring your awareness to the room and things around you.
- Finally stand up and get on with your day when you’re ready.
The whole process can take you anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on how deeply you get into each area of the body.
Pretty simple, as always, but no less powerful 🙂
I look forward to hearing how you get on when you give it a try.