Firstly a leaky gut is defined as a condition of the small intestine when the lining becomes damaged and allows partially digested food particle, bacteria and toxins to pass over into the blood stream.
This is a very common finding when working with clients. You may be aware of the symptoms before you know you have this issue. They include:
- Poor immune function (picking up colds easily)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes or eczema
As ever this is not an exhaustive list and by no means the only thing that causes these symptoms, but it’s very often at the root.
Here is how to go about creating a healthy, healed fully functioning digestive system:
- Take away the major stressor in your life – when it comes to leaky gut this may be anything from alcohol consumption on an empty stomach, work or family stress that is ongoing (or low laying constant), medical drugs you take for some other condition, gluten consumption (think breads, pasta, pastries and cakes) or any other food that you have an intolerance to.
- Reduce grain based foods – they contain a host of enzyme inhibitors and can cause inflammation in many clients that I have worked with over the last 13 years. Replace the bulk of grains with dark green leafy vegetables.
- Once the offending elements are under control begin the healing process by drinking bones broth. A cup of bone broth per day contains the healing proteins (amino acids) that will help to heal the damage in the intestinal lining and stop the toxins and food particles being passed into the blood stream. If you don’t like the sound of this, the supplement L-glutamine will do that same thing for you.
- Drink more water – low hydrochloric acid in the stomach is a major issue and allows fungus and parasites to get into the intestinal tract unchecked. Ordinarily adequate stomach acid breaks such things down before the food leaves for the next stage of the journey.
- Chew your food more thoroughly – digestion starts in the mouth by mixing the enzymes in the mouth with your thoroughly chewed food. If you don’t chew sufficiently it can allow fungus and parasites to get through the stomach and into the intestinal tract to wreak havoc there.
- Finally – on a deeper note, look at your anxieties, your life purpose and direction. When there are deep seated beliefs, negative dialogue or a sense of lacking purpose in life this can cause even the best intentioned healing protocol to fail or be derailed due to the these deep underlying factors.
I hope that helps.
My best wishes
PS – I’d love to chat to you more on this or any other holistic health and fitness challenge so please reply if there is something we could chat about to give you some clarity.