Why Health Matters
The five most common causes of ill heath and disease in the UK are:
- Heart Disease
Now most look at these disease states as incredibly complicated issues that they feel overwhelmed by. What’s more, when I speak with people, they tend to bury their head in the sand about these things until, yep you guessed, it’s time to take it seriously because they’re ill.
When you’re already ill is not the time to start taking up an organic diet and practicing meditation.
Holistic health really means practicing the building blocks that support optimal health daily. Not using these tools to get healthy from disease or a position of poor health.
Anyway, you may not have a disease so why is this important to you? (and me!)
Well the five big killers I mentioned above can be balanced out way before they become a problem. You see, research shows it takes 15 – 20 years of imbalances before the body develops these diseases.
We know the most common imbalances that contribute over this time period are:
- Poor breathing mechanics – over 75% of people I’ve worked with overbreathe
- Dysbiosis – which is an imbalance in gut bacteria levels
- Adrenal fatigue – waking unrested and poor quality sleep
- Syndrome X – blood sugar mismanagement
- Food allergies/intolerances
You might associate with one or more of these so what do you do now?
Below are a five simple action items to start making to balance your physiology, ensuring you’re building optimal health, not feeding illness.
1. Breathing: lay on your back daily and practice belly breathing for 5mins. Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. Breathe in for 5, out for 5 and hold for 5. Don’t allow your chest to move at all.
2. Dysbiosis: cut out grains and increase the dark green leafy veg and protein in your diet. Look to see where your stress is and make a realistic plan to reduce it, step by step.
3. Syndrome X – see above, plus move more! We are ALL too sedentary. Let’s get moving.
4. Adrenal Fatigue – Turn all screens, tablets and mobile devices off at least 30mins prior to bed and use a yellow light filter such as f.lux (https://justgetflux.com) to mimic sun times on your computer. For example my computer is starting to “set the sun” from about 15.30 at the moment!
5. Food Allergies/Intolerances: cut out grains and cut out dairy. Also rotate the foods that you eat every four days as to not cause an acquired food intolerance.
Simple steps to optimal health!
As I’ve said before, don’t let it become a big list of ‘stuff’ to do. Just pick one thing and action that, then build on it.